See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

how to reset the door lock functions?

Old 12-01-05, 01:26 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to reset the door lock functions?

In general I don't like the auto door lock functions (lock when shifted out of Park, lock when the car goes over 13mph, etc). I tried to change the setting as instructed in the owner's manual (Ignition on, then press door lock button for 5s while in Park or Neutral), but nothing happened. Has anyone changed the setting successfully? I would've had the service dept do the LPS but they didn't have the newest scanner/software for the new IS yet.
Old 12-01-05, 02:32 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in the service manual does it say you can change it this way?

These settings I believe are Lexus Personalization Settings that must be done at Lexus...IIRC.
Old 12-01-05, 02:39 PM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

on p. 16 in the before driving section that talks about remote and door locks. I was able to change the setting in my 2004 RX330 following the same direction.

Last edited by jlin101; 12-01-05 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 02:45 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I see it on page 16 and 17. So yes it doesn't work for me either but I guess you knew that already. I always thought this was an LPS setting so I'm guessing the manual is not quite accurate. Perhaps someone else can chime in...

Last edited by kensteele; 12-01-05 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-01-05, 03:39 PM
cooney
Rookie

Following the instructions in the owner's manual, and after three or four tries, I was able to set it to lock on shifting out of Park and unlock on shifting into Park.

I don't remember doing anything different the time it finally worked. . But there is some time requirement between switching the ignition on and going through the drill with the lock/unlock button.

Sorry not to be more help.
Old 12-01-05, 04:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

My car came that way. Shift into park and the doors unlock. Shift into gear and the doors locked.

I would love for my car to not unlock all doors at once when you shift the car to park. Instead I would like for it to wait until the driver shuts off the engine and open his driver's door.

Manual says you can adjust to this so I will keep trying.

All I can think of is the *automatic tranmission only...which "could" mean that these are the functions for the auto and the other functions are NOT available to the auto.
Old 12-01-05, 06:02 PM
YYZlexus
Driver School Candidate

My manual shows all the codes at the very back. I assume its the same one in Canada
Old 12-02-05, 05:26 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

I figured it out: when the manual said "press for 5 seconds," it meant 5 seconds, not less or more. In the RX's manual, it was additionally warned that if the resetting procedure failed, you probably pressed the button for too short or too long--this statement was left out of IS's manual. Now my car doesn't automatically lock when I shift out of Park.
Old 12-02-05, 06:52 AM
saske
Rookie

So I guess another question is that if this is one of the LPS that you are changing yourself, does the manual have the insturctions on how to change other LPS that are offered? Not sure if anyone has tried this but I'm curious because if I can do it myself, I don't want to have to drive 90 miles to the nearest Lexus dealership to have Lexus do it. Thanks!
Old 12-02-05, 07:07 AM
HokiPoki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jlin101
I figured it out: when the manual said "press for 5 seconds," it meant 5 seconds, not less or more. In the RX's manual, it was additionally warned that if the resetting procedure failed, you probably pressed the button for too short or too long--this statement was left out of IS's manual. Now my car doesn't automatically lock when I shift out of Park.
yep 5 seconds exactly or it will not work. Also for the RX330 you do not have to have the car started but just in the "on" ignition position before it starts for setting these options.

We turned:
off (a) lock when out move shifter out of park
on (b) unlock when move shifter into park
on (c) lock when drive 12mph or higher
off (d) unlock all doors when driver opens door after turning off engine.

Since sometimes you might just drive a few feet forward to pick someone up and it seemed like it would be locking a lot. Lots of other cars do this when you go fast enough they lock the doors. Mini, VW, etc. and its a cool feature to use.

I wonder if any of this locking will work on the IS250 MT since it sounds like it only works on automatic.
Old 12-02-05, 07:43 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by HokiPoki
yep 5 seconds exactly or it will not work. Also for the RX330 you do not have to have the car started but just in the "on" ignition position before it starts for setting these options.

We turned:
off (a) lock when out move shifter out of park
on (b) unlock when move shifter into park
on (c) lock when drive 12mph or higher
off (d) unlock all doors when driver opens door after turning off engine.

Since sometimes you might just drive a few feet forward to pick someone up and it seemed like it would be locking a lot. Lots of other cars do this when you go fast enough they lock the doors. Mini, VW, etc. and its a cool feature to use.

I wonder if any of this locking will work on the IS250 MT since it sounds like it only works on automatic.
the auto lock function linked to "Park" is not available in 250 MT because there is no "park" position, therefor the car only locks automatically when it reaches 12 mph.
Old 12-02-05, 07:48 AM
jlin101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by saske
So I guess another question is that if this is one of the LPS that you are changing yourself, does the manual have the insturctions on how to change other LPS that are offered? Not sure if anyone has tried this but I'm curious because if I can do it myself, I don't want to have to drive 90 miles to the nearest Lexus dealership to have Lexus do it. Thanks!
Only a few LPS settings can be done without special equipment: auto door lock functions, and 1 vs 2 step door opening. You can find the instruction in the manual. The others (wiper, lighting, etc) can only be done by the service dept (mine didn't even have the new codes for the IS yet). Do it at your free 5000 mile service.
Old 12-02-05, 07:51 AM
saske
Rookie

Originally Posted by jlin101
Only a few LPS settings can be done without special equipment: auto door lock functions, and 1 vs 2 step door opening. You can find the instruction in the manual. The others (wiper, lighting, etc) can only be done by the service dept (mine didn't even have the new codes for the IS yet). Do it at your free 5000 mile service.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will take delivery of my IS250 in two weeks and I will just fax over the LPS to them ahead of time so that when the car arrives, it will be all set up. Thanks again, your info is a huge time saver.

Sean
Old 01-12-06, 08:07 PM
gs9351
Rookie

Wink door unlock problem finally solved

Thanks to all who contributed on this board!

I have my brand new 06 GS with LPS set to lock doors when you shift out of park. That worked OK, but when I park my car at work, and try to get my briefcase out of the rear seat / floor...LOCKED OUT!. Need to go back to front door to unlock. I tried the procedure in the manual several times to set the doors to unlock when setting into park, but NO LUCK.

Then I read this board, figure out it must be EXACTLY 5 seconds to hold down the unlock button on driver's door. Using my stopwatch, it worked the FIRST TIME!

Thanks to all!
Old 01-12-06, 11:17 PM
Jhoo
Rookie

This is all great info, nicely done.

hey not to hi-jack or go off topic but since the tech squad is working here, I thought Id ask if anyone elses windows do not auto open, and can not control any other window from the drivers control. I figured yall might now the secret to getting the windows to be usable. Thanks if you can help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to reset the door lock functions?