RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

power steering failure (P/S light)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-05, 09:56 PM
turbostang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering failure (P/S light)

Hi folks,

I have about 4500~~ miles on my 2006 RX400H. And tonight the P/S light apeared on my gauge.
I cant barely turn the wheel to get out of my driveway.

Is there anyway I can fix the P/S myself? How did this happen? Can I prevent this from happening again in the future??

I am beginning to question Lexus quality. If I can't fix this myself, i'll just bring it back to Lexus to fix the p/s and get my 5000 miles free service.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-05, 05:35 AM
jerryray
Pit Crew

I am sure that pump is electric. Check the fuse panel?

What dealer do you use for service?
Old 11-24-05, 06:34 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryray
I am sure that pump is electric. Check the fuse panel?
That'd be my best guess, too! The P/S pump on the 330 is engine driven (no P/S warning light), but the 400h powers the accessories electrically. Check fuses as indicated in your owner's manual - otherwise check with your dealer ASAP. As with almost any fuse failure, something CAUSED it!

Best of luck, and Welcome to CL!
Old 11-24-05, 04:11 PM
turbostang
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I checked the fuse panel already. The P/S use a 7.5 fuse. no 26. No blown fuse. All other fuses are fine too.

I am going to call Bay Ridge Lexus tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can squeeze me in to repair this problem . Is really sux when I have to park at a tight spot today.

Will keep you guys updated on the repair. Thank God for factory warranty coverage.
Old 11-24-05, 05:02 PM
nopcbs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is a safety issue...

Originally Posted by turbostang
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I checked the fuse panel already. The P/S use a 7.5 fuse. no 26. No blown fuse. All other fuses are fine too.

I am going to call Bay Ridge Lexus tomorrow morning. Hopefully they can squeeze me in to repair this problem . Is really sux when I have to park at a tight spot today.

Will keep you guys updated on the repair. Thank God for factory warranty coverage.
...demand that they get you in and fix it tomorrow. Also, post the problem on the NHTSA web site. They will not help you get it fixed, but if it turns out to be a chronic problem with electric PS, they can force a recall.
Old 11-24-05, 06:46 PM
turbostang
Driver School Candidate

let see what happen tomorrow. Hopefully they will give me a loaner car otherwise i will be force to drive my mustang for the weekend. (aka gas guzzler)

This is terrible, practically brand new vehicle and the p/s clunked out. I wonder whats next to break down.
Old 11-25-05, 05:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

let see what happen tomorrow. Hopefully they will give me a loaner car otherwise i will be force to drive my mustang for the weekend. (aka gas guzzler)

This is terrible, practically brand new vehicle and the p/s clunked out. I wonder whats next to break down.
sux really... You should have called the dealer right away to take care of it, longer you wait with any kind of problem, you are justing getting madder and madder.... And of course, you will get an loaner
Old 11-25-05, 08:33 AM
katzjamr
Driver

Default power steering

Last July in another 400h forum this failure did happen to another 400h owner. (i believe his vehicle had even fewer miles on it than yours) It turned out to be the Power Steering Control unit, im told that is the computer that controls the power steering.
I think after this repair you will find your 400h very reliable.
Old 11-25-05, 10:29 PM
turbostang
Driver School Candidate

Well I did drop the hybrid off at the dealer today. The service director said my Clifford transponder alarm could had cause this p/s problem. (B/S, Typical dealer excuse)
I told him the alarm was installed back in September the day I picked up the hybrid and this p/s issue happen Thanksgiving Thursday.

Anyway the hybrid must stay at the shop for a few days. They will perform the complimentary 5k miles maintaince service, Headlight assembly recall, and the P/S issue.

One good thing about Lexus, they gave me a loaner vehicle a 2005 RX330 , too bad no Navigation system

I will inform you folks the result next week when the vehicle had been repaired.

Have a good weekend.
Old 11-26-05, 07:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Well I did drop the hybrid off at the dealer today. The service director said my Clifford transponder alarm could had cause this p/s problem. (B/S, Typical dealer excuse)
I told him the alarm was installed back in September the day I picked up the hybrid and this p/s issue happen Thanksgiving Thursday.

Anyway the hybrid must stay at the shop for a few days. They will perform the complimentary 5k miles maintaince service, Headlight assembly recall, and the P/S issue.

One good thing about Lexus, they gave me a loaner vehicle a 2005 RX330 , too bad no Navigation system

I will inform you folks the result next week when the vehicle had been repaired.

Have a good weekend.
ah, so you have an alarm installed...While I doubt actual unit might have caused an issue, something during installation might have. Alarm installers get to test/cut a lot wires during installation. It doesnt have to show right away either.

I am glad you didnt blame the alarm guys, I hate it when people immediatly do that. But reality is that, it might cause some issues (or not).

I work at Toyota dealership and own car alarm/security shop :-).