Need Help With Horn Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-05, 04:23 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Horn Button

I am using a Nardi Hub and Horn Button in my SC, but now the horn does not work
Is there anything special that I have to do in order for it to work.
Old 03-24-05, 06:23 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you had to remove the clock spring from the hub to mount the wheel, you need to fabricate your own. That clock spring carries the wire for the horn.

To fabricate your own, you will need to wind a length of wire around your hub.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Attach a wire to the rotating section of the hub and hold it as you turn the wheel all the way to the right. This will wrap the wire around the hub. After you lock to the right, feed the wire thru to the switch and the wheel. When this wire sees ground, the horn activates. So ground the open end of the horn switch.

Back on the hub, connect this wire to the green wire with the red stripe.

Wind the wire at a spot where it won't chafe against, of interfere with any other parts of the steering column like the switch stalks. If you are lucky, you can reinstall the base of the clock spring housing and wrap this wire inside that. Sometimes all you need is to remove the top swiveling portion of the clock spring to fit the aftermarket hub adapter.

This isn't ideal, but it works. I used this method on my last two cars with Momo wheels and no problems ensued. The stock clock spring is the best method but some aftermarket wheels won't allow for it. Your other option is a switch on the dash. But trust me, it's unsafe, and you'll never find it when you need to. The horn is a safety item and believe it or not can be the difference between life or death in a worst case scenario. Try to get this sorted as soon as you can.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-05, 07:39 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

I am still lost Could you clarify things a bit more The hub has red wire connected to it and that goes to the horn button. From there on is where I get lost.

Originally Posted by CleanSC
If you had to remove the clock spring from the hub to mount the wheel, you need to fabricate your own. That clock spring carries the wire for the horn.

To fabricate your own, you will need to wind a length of wire around your hub.

Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Attach a wire to the rotating section of the hub and hold it as you turn the wheel all the way to the right. This will wrap the wire around the hub. After you lock to the right, feed the wire thru to the switch and the wheel. When this wire sees ground, the horn activates. So ground the open end of the horn switch.

Back on the hub, connect this wire to the green wire with the red stripe.

Wind the wire at a spot where it won't chafe against, of interfere with any other parts of the steering column like the switch stalks. If you are lucky, you can reinstall the base of the clock spring housing and wrap this wire inside that. Sometimes all you need is to remove the top swiveling portion of the clock spring to fit the aftermarket hub adapter.

This isn't ideal, but it works. I used this method on my last two cars with Momo wheels and no problems ensued. The stock clock spring is the best method but some aftermarket wheels won't allow for it. Your other option is a switch on the dash. But trust me, it's unsafe, and you'll never find it when you need to. The horn is a safety item and believe it or not can be the difference between life or death in a worst case scenario. Try to get this sorted as soon as you can.

Good luck!

Last edited by Big Pookie; 03-24-05 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 05:07 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

LOL okay. Did you remove the airbag clockspring to put on the aftermarket hub and steering wheel? That would be the swiveling harness connector with the yellow harness coming off it.
Old 03-25-05, 08:59 AM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

Yup, I had to disconnect it. I just put it in the picture if you need to point something out. This is what I have so far. What would I need to do to mount a switch on the steering column.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help With Horn Button-dscf1039.jpg  

Last edited by Big Pookie; 03-25-05 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 09:14 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Okay. Can you reinstall the clock spring behind the nardi hub if you remove the top half the clock spring, first? The top half being the part that swivels. Get a screwdriver and pry it off. There will be a ribbon cable under there. This is where you cut it and destroy it lol. Once the top is off, the nardi hub should fit inside the clock spring housing snugly. If not, toss it, you can't use it. If you can, we can make your own clockspring as described above.

Let me know what happens.
Old 03-25-05, 09:16 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

You edited in a new question after I hit reply lol.

To mount a steering column switch, you just need to connect one side of the switch to ground, and the other to the red/green wire.
Old 03-25-05, 09:28 AM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

It does not fit. To wire a switch on the column, do I use the red and green wire that go to the clock spring.

Last edited by Big Pookie; 03-25-05 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-25-05, 09:54 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Yes, have the switch apply ground to this wire and you will have your horn back.
Old 03-25-05, 12:16 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

When you say red and green wire, do you mean 2 wires ,one red and one green, or a single wire that is both colors. I wired it and the horn works, but the Cruise control also comes on.
For ground do I just attach a piece of wire to metal and the other end to the switch.

Last edited by Big Pookie; 03-25-05 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-25-05, 01:08 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Green wire with the red stripe. The rest are for the cruise control.

Connect this to the switch, and the other side of the switch to any metal surface. That's it.
Old 03-25-05, 03:13 PM
Big Pookie
Pole Position

CleanSC
I would like to Thank You for your help
Sorry for bothering with such dumbass questions. And, here is the finished product. Later on I will paint the column flat black or wrap it in carbon fiber.
Attached Thumbnails Need Help With Horn Button-dscf1040.jpg  
Old 03-25-05, 07:01 PM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, a thread with only two people posting so i have decided to change it.
So where is the finished project photo, i want to see your steering wheel.
Old 03-26-05, 11:35 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Looks good man...

Just hope you don't rip off the column cover in a fit of road rage trying to find that switch, lol.

Good work. Show us the wheel while you're at it.