Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

My SC LED Retrofits

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 09:45 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default My SC LED Retrofits

Hey guys just popping in to show off my latest LED retro. I know some of you guys in here like this sort of thing like I obviously do.

LED moonroof HMSL and LED tails:

Click for full res.

The tails don't need much explanation. Just two rows of 16 LEDS for 32 LEDS per side. The Moonroof HMSL (high-mount stop light) is an LED strip I had lying around that I decided to finally use. The weak stock HMSL was bothering me so I decided to do the moonroof light. I had done it once before in my Celica (as seen in pic). The moonroof works as stock. Tilt, slide, everything works fine. A simple wire retracting brace was fabricated to allow movement of the entire assembly with the moonroof. There's a switch that returns the stock HMSL to active duty when the moonroof is closed which is only when it rains. Otherwise the new 48-LED unit is at work. Total 112 LEDS facing the rear. At night, everything behind me turns red when I brake. All LEDS are DOT approved for automotive signaling use.

I also have similar retros (but in amber) in my front bumper lenses with gunmetal housings. But no pics at this time. I'll take some of those.

If you have any questions, please post them here and not thru PM. I always seem to get the same question from different people so I rather answer everything here, once.

Thanks all!

Last edited by CleanSC; 01-30-06 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Gallery Linking was changed by system. Links changed to suit.
Old 02-15-05, 11:48 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

pretty.
Old 02-15-05, 12:11 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's pretty cool, where'd you get that strip of LEDs for the HMSL?
I love the idea of it working only when you have it up?
Old 02-15-05, 12:18 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DarchMage
That's pretty cool, where'd you get that strip of LEDs for the HMSL?
I love the idea of it working only when you have it up?
I've had it lying around for a few years... I'm guessing it's from a Cadillac as they are the only cars with HMSL's that long. I have a collection of LED's, lights, and such to experiment with so I can see what works and what doesn't.

Nowadays they sell LED strips just for this sort of thing... The low rider truck scene uses these a lot on the bottom of their tailgates. Come in many sizes. Not so sure about reliability tho.
Old 02-15-05, 12:32 PM
Koma

Where is your stock HMSL?
Does it switch automatically between the two or do you manually flip a switch?
Old 02-15-05, 01:22 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Where is your stock HMSL?
Does it switch automatically between the two or do you manually flip a switch?
The stock HMSL is in the middle of the rear deck like most cars.

I have to manually flip a switch because that is the cleanest way to wire it. I could use the sunroof limit switches to make it fully automatic but I'm not interested in the complication, the hacking, and the extra non-OEM wiring. (I had a similar setup with the limit switches in the Celica where the alarm controlled the sunroof -- cute, but major hacking.) Besides I like having full control with my switch. Plus I barely ever need to use it. I've used the switch maybe once in the past 3 weeks?

To remind me that it's on, it flashes blue when the brakes are applied. It's mounted under the back seat on the tranny tunnel. This location keeps my dash clean, makes wire runs minimal as it's closer to the action, and is invisible. Access is simple as well. Just reach your arm back.
Old 02-15-05, 04:27 PM
Koma

What year and trim Celica do you have?
I used to have a 92 Celica GT-S. I miss it, that thing handled so well and was pretty quick for a 2.2 4-cyl.

And can both the stock and moon-roof mounted HMSL work at the same time?
Is this legal?
Old 02-16-05, 05:23 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

What year and trim Celica do you have?
I used to have a 92 Celica GT-S. I miss it, that thing handled so well and was pretty quick for a 2.2 4-cyl.

And can both the stock and moon-roof mounted HMSL work at the same time?
Is this legal?
Wow lately I have been getting the Celica question a lot.... See this post for quick info. I can literally write a book on the car tho... It's a 1990 Celica GT-S.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=9

Yes both can go at the same time if I want. Legal? I don't see why not. Many cars have several brake lights from Monteros with the stop lights in the bumper, to dealer installed spoilers with LEDs on cars that still have the deck-mounted HMSL. They never get bothered so...
Old 02-16-05, 05:48 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Wow lately I have been getting the Celica question a lot.... See this post for quick info. I can literally write a book on the car tho... It's a 1990 Celica GT-S.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=9

Yes both can go at the same time if I want. Legal? I don't see why not. Many cars have several brake lights from Monteros with the stop lights in the bumper, to dealer installed spoilers with LEDs on cars that still have the deck-mounted HMSL. They never get bothered so...

I miss my Celica... I wish I could have done some sick mods for my car...
Old 02-16-05, 09:12 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Default Amber LED Markers

As promised, the amber LED marker lights for the front bumper.

Off:

On:

From a distance:

These are completely custom made. Custom LEDs, custom cover, and custom dimpled diffuser lense. The color I used is the same gunmetal on the headlights, high beams, and fogs so it's all uniform.

Last edited by CleanSC; 01-30-06 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Links edited to match new gallery format
Old 02-16-05, 09:21 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CleanSC
As promised, the amber LED marker lights for the front bumper.

Off:

On:

From a distance:

These are completely custom made. Custom LEDs, custom cover, and custom dimpled diffuser lense. The color I used is the same gunmetal on the headlights, high beams, and fogs so it's all uniform.

Cleansc i applaud you for your work.

your car definitely earns the name CLEAN.

your car is different and stands out from the crowd.
Old 02-16-05, 09:25 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Those taillights are tight!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! Great job!
Old 02-17-05, 05:28 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Thanks for the love.

Just moddin' the old ride.
Old 02-18-05, 01:20 AM
LasVegasGS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O man that is some great great work. How about doing a DIY write up for the guys I know there are more on here like me Id rather blow double the amount learning how to do it my self messing up & redoing it tell its right then paying some one to do it once & not geting anything out of it. Or is that just me?

If you can tell us about the side markets are they on a circut or just in mounts? Also I have a question how would you go about wireing something from outside of the car into the dome light?

Thank you & keep up the awsome work your SC set's great example for alot of the new guys coming
Old 02-18-05, 01:54 AM
gapxguy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LasVegasGS
How about doing a DIY write up for the guys
Please do.

Quick Reply: My SC LED Retrofits