Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Why won't the side view mirrors move?

Old 02-14-05, 06:34 PM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why won't the side view mirrors move?

Tonight on my 2000 ES I went to make a rare adjustment to my passenger side view mirror and noticed it wasn't working (same on driver side also) i noticed that it wasn't lit up either where the switch is, but couldn't remember if it ever was. Is this just a fuse change or could it be more intricate than that? If it is a fuse where's the panel located?
Old 02-14-05, 07:02 PM
The_Hitman
Lexus Champion

We used to have alot of trouble with the fuse for the mirror on an old Toyota we had, that easily couldbe the problem on yours. I dont know where they are on the 97+, but on 92-96 there are a couple locations for fuses, the main one is down to the bottom and left of the steering wheel. Check your manual, it will tell you.
Old 02-15-05, 05:43 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by superpats
Tonight on my 2000 ES I went to make a rare adjustment to my passenger side view mirror and noticed it wasn't working (same on driver side also) i noticed that it wasn't lit up either where the switch is, but couldn't remember if it ever was. Is this just a fuse change or could it be more intricate than that? If it is a fuse where's the panel located?
Yes, the up/down/left/right arrows on the mirror control button do light up when you turn on your headlights. Since you're saying that it's not lit up anymore, and that the power mirrors are not working, it's most likely that the power mirror ECU has blown out. I double-checked my '01 ES manual if there's a fuse for the power mirror, and there isn't one. That's why I believe the problem might be with the ECU of your power mirrors.

Unfortunately I can't help you out on where this ECU is located or how to replace it, but I'm going to move this thread to Maintenance and see if you can get other promising feedback there. Good luck
Old 02-15-05, 09:25 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

appreciate the help its nothing major since I hardly ever change the positions of my mirrors but I just hate it when something doesn't work in my Lex.
Old 02-15-05, 07:39 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the fuse panel is behind the flip out coin tray. Lower dash area, left of the steering column.
Remove the coin tray and have a look. See if any are blown. It may not have been listed in the manual if it is in conjuction with other devices on the same fuse.

On an aside, my 2002, there is a fuse that includes the power rear view mirrors. Fuse #36 (ECU-ACC), 5 amp. I must note that the clock, multi-informational display and drivign position memory seat are also connected to this fuse so if it is blown these would not be working either.

good luck.

steviej
Old 02-16-05, 04:01 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

must not be a fuse then because my clock and memory seat both function properly. In fact when changing the memory on my seat the drivers side mirror actually makes a minor move right to left but not up or down.
Old 02-17-05, 11:16 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Question

anybody elese have any suggestions? My last resort is taking it to The local Lexus dealer.
Old 02-17-05, 01:30 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you take it to the dealership, take it to Lexus of Norwood,
Ask for Mark the Service Manager, Or Brandi the service writer. Tell them I sent you.

steviej (Steve from Scituate "aka, the Pain in the Azz)
Old 02-18-05, 03:48 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by steviej
if you take it to the dealership, take it to Lexus of Norwood,
Ask for Mark the Service Manager, Or Brandi the service writer. Tell them I sent you.

steviej (Steve from Scituate "aka, the Pain in the Azz)
Thanks Stevie You Da MAN. If I have some time Saturday I'll take a drive over there. Hey what happened to the Sox logo you were goin to put up?