GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

AWD vs. RWD

Old 02-15-05, 07:50 AM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AWD vs. RWD

What are the real advantages/disadvantages of an AWD sedan compared to the RWD. If the AWD had all the advantages, why then Lexus needed to carry both the AWD and RWD? Is it just a price issue? I would appreciate comments from people who own or have driven AWD sedans.
Old 02-15-05, 08:02 AM
akbergq
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its about 1500 bucks extra for the AWD version. Some ppl need AWD for adverse drivign conditions. Some ppl dont. I think they did a good thign by offering both RWD and AWD otherwise making AWD as the only GS300 would mean an increased cost, particularly to those who dont care for one because they live in places where AWD is a waste to have as a drive feature. Theres no difference between the AWD car and RWD car - just that u pay more for the ability to have AWD feature. Evrythign else is identical to the RWD GS300.
Old 02-15-05, 08:24 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Regional differences

The RWD is about a tenth of a second faster than the AWD if that matters. The front suspension on the AWD had to be routed around the front wheel driveshafts. When Mercedes started making the 4 Matics they would send the front driveshafts through the coil springs by enlarging the spring at that point sort like when you pull a slinky apart. The front sway bar also changes position to the front of the drive centerline. BTW when we had the GS430 up on the rack doing the PDI (Pre delivery inspection) I was struck by how flat the undercarriage is. The sway bars disappear from their links under a sort of wide flat panel. Those of you who have seen the LS430 underside will recognize the attention to airflow. The forged suspension members are upright and substantial. They can take it. The brake calipers on the GS430 are really big and I want to powder coat them or at least paint 'em Glossy Black.

What type of conditions do you drive in IDG?
Old 02-15-05, 08:37 AM
idg
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in San Diego, so weatherwise, a heavy downpore is the most I can expect. On the otherhand, if the only disadvantages of AWD are the cost and potentially the slight reduction in acceleration, I can see the advantage of an AWD for the occassional mountain trips
Old 02-15-05, 08:42 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

AWD - faster standing start from 0mph, faster thru the corner, faster in the wet, lose it AWD and you've no chance of catching it.

RWD - faster from rolling start (because of the extra bhp at the wheels), more fun drifting, lose the back end and you CAN catch it.

The main difference is the bhp loss - AWD loses bhp thru the transmission more than RWD, thatz a fact.

So example, AWD 220hp Lexus will have probably 100/120hp at the wheels.

RWD 220hp Lexus will have around 170/180hp at the wheels.

BIG difference on the freeway.
Old 02-15-05, 08:55 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default Very interesting topic

I like your analysis Yoshi. I am told that due to the Ltd. slip center differential on the GS AWD that the normal front/rear power split is about 30%/70% which takes on some of the handling characteristics of a rear wheel drive. Your comments are so true when FWD and AWD break traction. You're usually headed for the weeds so the rally drivers will use left foot braking to make the car turn while they keeping the throttle down to keep up the turbo boost. The Finns are famous for that. I feel very confident after driving the GS300 AWD that a normal driver will stay out of harms way and not have to be an expert to keep up. Put on the 18"s and let 'er rip. The Electric Power steering has little inertia and might work well for drifting the RWD. Where do the drifters get the money for the rubber they chew?????????? Daddy?
Old 02-15-05, 09:05 AM
yoshi
Pole Position

Yes, the power is split not 50/50 but typically 40/60 - 40% FWD, 60% RWD.

A 30/70 split will make the car a bit RWD.

The Skyline V-Spec II is very cool - it switches between FWD, AWD and RWD depending on the situation - result = unstoppable on the track.
Old 02-15-05, 09:22 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Default San Diego sunny skies

Originally Posted by idg
I live in San Diego, so weatherwise, a heavy downpore is the most I can expect. On the otherhand, if the only disadvantages of AWD are the cost and potentially the slight reduction in acceleration, I can see the advantage of an AWD for the occassional mountain trips
You are a RWD match IMHO. Now if you want to do the hill climb at Pikes Peak I'm not sure which to choose. Even though its available in AWD I wouldn't recommend Baja.....
In this months Lexus magazine (quarterly) David Feige talks about a road trip to the Bonneville Salt flats. He makes about a dozen passes on the Salt and pegs his IS300 at 142 MPH. That's about a quarter mile every 6 seconds. I would like to try to break his record using a GS430!
Old 02-15-05, 09:36 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville
In this months Lexus magazine (quarterly) David Feige talks about a road trip to the Bonneville Salt flats. He makes about a dozen passes on the Salt and pegs his IS300 at 142 MPH. That's about a quarter mile every 6 seconds. I would like to try to break his record using a GS430!
That was a great article. I don't think I could ever subject my own IS to a salt bath like that.
Old 02-15-05, 10:25 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those of you who believe that AWD cars are designed primarily for driving conditions that are less than optimal are greatly misinformed about this marvel of automotive engineering. Don't confuse AWD with off-road, 4-wheel drive systems. AWD systems simultaneously and continuously "sense" road conditions under each of the four wheels and apply proportionate power as appropriate. In addition to sure-footedness on slippery roads, AWD generally improves/enhances handling and performance. That's why Audi Quattros were banned from racing circuits in the late `80s (RWD vehiles could not touch them), and why Porsche and Lamborgini now produce vehicles that feature AWD. Indeed, it's because the `06 GS300 features AWD that I'm attracted to what strikes me as an otherwise soul-less automobile.
Old 02-15-05, 10:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Indeed, it's because the `06 GS300 features AWD that I'm attracted to what strikes me as an otherwise soul-less automobile.
Soul-less? To be fair, it's pretty hard to name a vehicle that you haven't had a chance to drive yet?
Old 02-15-05, 10:44 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
Soul-less? To be fair, it's pretty hard to name a vehicle that you haven't had a chance to drive yet?
Why so sensitive? I was just rendering an opinion. I thought one of the things one does on a forum is share opinions. Please re-check my last response; I said "what strikes me as" (which is another terminology for a first impression), I didn't "name" anything.
Old 02-15-05, 11:10 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Those of you who believe that AWD cars are designed primarily for driving conditions that are less than optimal are greatly misinformed about this marvel of automotive engineering. Don't confuse AWD with off-road, 4-wheel drive systems. AWD systems simultaneously and continuously "sense" road conditions under each of the four wheels and apply proportionate power as appropriate. In addition to sure-footedness on slippery roads, AWD generally improves/enhances handling and performance. That's why Audi Quattros were banned from racing circuits in the late `80s (RWD vehiles could not touch them), and why Porsche and Lamborgini now produce vehicles that feature AWD. Indeed, it's because the `06 GS300 features AWD that I'm attracted to what strikes me as an otherwise soul-less automobile.
Well I agree with the Audis whooping butt in racing. But today, there are other reasons for AWD.
1. Its now cheaper to make. So more car makers see it as viable to offer it.
2. Its catchy marketing. AWD="safe" to peoples minds.
3. it was an untapped market. Outside Audi/Suburu, most car makers really didn't offer it. So instead of having to leave to those brands, you can now stay in your brand (loyalists) if you want AWD.
4. Remember, most people with AWD don't go racing. And even Audi could not transfer racing success into sales success.

As for exotics, well I disagree. You will notice the magazines favorites sports cars are all RWD. AWD just cannot match the fun of a RWD car. Another reason is, the exotics have so much Horsepower, that without AWD, unless you are a race car driver, the car would be useless. AWD makes these exotics safer to drive and able to drive, so the masses (lmao) can buy them.
For instance the RWD only GT3 is the Porsche favorite to the 911 Turbo or even the GT2 (rwd only). Mags state the GT2 is really crazy to drive since they took all the "save me" gadgets out (trac control, AWD etc) and it has more power. Reading about the incredible power of the SL 55s and 65s, they simply spin the wheels out just tapping the accelerator. Too much power for the chassis.
Most mags say, the 911 Turbo (which has AWD) is the most useable exotic car today. The AWD really made is useable to drive daily.
Old 02-15-05, 11:19 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well I agree with the Audis whooping butt in racing. But today, there are other reasons for AWD.
1. Its now cheaper to make. So more car makers see it as viable to offer it.
2. Its catchy marketing. AWD="safe" to peoples minds.
3. it was an untapped market. Outside Audi/Suburu, most car makers really didn't offer it. So instead of having to leave to those brands, you can now stay in your brand (loyalists) if you want AWD.
4. Remember, most people with AWD don't go racing. And even Audi could not transfer racing success into sales success.

As for exotics, well I disagree. You will notice the magazines favorites sports cars are all RWD. AWD just cannot match the fun of a RWD car. Another reason is, the exotics have so much Horsepower, that without AWD, unless you are a race car driver, the car would be useless. AWD makes these exotics safer to drive and able to drive, so the masses (lmao) can buy them.
For instance the RWD only GT3 is the Porsche favorite to the 911 Turbo or even the GT2 (rwd only). Mags state the GT2 is really crazy to drive since they took all the "save me" gadgets out (trac control, AWD etc) and it has more power. Reading about the incredible power of the SL 55s and 65s, they simply spin the wheels out just tapping the accelerator. Too much power for the chassis.
Most mags say, the 911 Turbo (which has AWD) is the most useable exotic car today. The AWD really made is useable to drive daily.
Good points!
Old 02-15-05, 03:01 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

The only reason I want AWD is to get through the NJ winter snow days without having to change over to snow tires. My current RWD vehicle with Summer tires of course are horrible in any snow.

Of course I still understand that AWD is not a guarentee that I will be 100% safe & secure driving in snow, but the chances are better than a RWD or FWD vehicle.

In a perfect world, I would love to keep my RWD, Sports Package, Low Profile Rims car and have a 4 x 4 truck on the side, but that gets expensive and not practical (BTW - the truck in my signature below is my wife's so I guess I can use it on those snowy days, if she doesn't have to go to work).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AWD vs. RWD