ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Old 09-25-04, 09:34 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Problems with your ES?

I believe most of us have at one time or another run into a problem on the ES that's considered as "common" for that model year, so I have listed all of them that I can think of in poll format. Feel free to select the one(s) you have encountered, and if you want, share the experience in dealing with the problem. If you have found a quicker or more reliable fix for the ES problem, please share it as all of us can benefit from it

Also, if you have a specific problem on your ES that could be characteristic on other ES models, please share the experience.

Last edited by lexusk8; 09-25-04 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 10:33 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had alot of those you listed, but the most costly to fix was the valve cover gaskets/rear seal... I had the dealer do it, and total cost was mucho $$, forgot how much exactly though.

Other little problems, I have one bulb out on the instrument cluster, "3 on the rpm" but it's not too noticeable. Needles are still good... Hazed headlights were one of my first problems, I have since went through 2 (blacked out, stock) sets of them. Also, my cd changer went out, so I got a new deck. Other than that, nothing too major.
Old 09-26-04, 04:10 PM
flipspeed
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motor mounts were the first to go but was replaced under warranty. i bet the peeling B pillar will get a lot of votes.
Old 09-26-04, 08:43 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The guys with older model ESs are probably going to start running into the blwon headgasket issue a lot.
Old 09-27-04, 08:50 AM
zach
Rookie

I think I have a lot of these problems in my 1997 ES with 134k miles, or they're starting to show... After I bought the car six months ago, I took into the dealership to have it looked at. They said it was in good shape, but the valve cover gaskets were leaking and estimated it at $575 to fix. They also said the power steering pump was leaking and that would be $750, and that the catalytic converter was plugged, an $1800 expense. And the O2 sensor after the cat. needed to be fixed, $280 for that. LOL.

I bought a Camry catalytic converter and had it installed, along with an O2 sensor after the catalytic converter. I just spent $300 to try to fix the Check Engine Light, and they replaced an O2 sensor. It came on again and they replaced the "heat sensor" (I don't have my paperwork in front of me). It's back on again, and I'm trying to work with the dealership in Scottsdale to have it looked at again. Grr.

I don't think my heated seats have ever worked, which is really disappointing because of the cold weather in Indiana. I'm not sure what the problem is supposed to be with the window regulator, but I voted for it because my windows seem to roll up and down quite slowly and when you press two of them down at once they go even slower. It may be my imagination, but the moonroof motor seems to be going slower too. And yes, my B-pillar has been peeling too --- very irritating.

The "D" for Drive on the instrument cluster is burnt out; all the other letters (P, R, N, etc) light up fine. My AC is absolutely awesome, something I'm very thankful for in the Arizona heat.
Old 09-27-04, 10:24 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

the pillars between doors, peeled
Old 09-27-04, 10:34 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

zach, sorry to hear all of the problems you have had to deal with on your '97 ES. Unfortunately for that model year (1997), it seems to be one of the most problematic from the '97-'01 ES era, as it is of course the 1st model year within that era. Same thing for the '92 ES from the '92-'96 generation. When the mileage is getting high (i.e. over 90K), you're most prone to start spending more on maintenance and upkeep out of pocket. Be glad to know that the timing belt and water pump are only changed every 90K miles.

My B-pillar had also peeled in my '01 ES, so what I did is replace the darned thing. Costed me about $60 from the Lexus parts counter; the part already comes as clearcoated. It is far better than the $100 estimate to have the body shop repair and re-apply clearcoat to the part. Just something for you guys to consider
Old 09-27-04, 07:31 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh yeah, forgot about the O2 sensors
Old 09-29-04, 11:08 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I had the peeling of the B-pillar but it was fixed under warranty before I took delivery of the car in January. Other than regular maintenance, not a single complaint with my 01 ES.

Last edited by Lexusfreak; 09-29-04 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-05-04, 06:39 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

other than the massive amounts of oil leaking (probably a half a cup a day)...

shes 15 years old (yes i realize you are referring to the 92-present ES series, but mine has an ES badge too)..so here it is in full detail.

Parts/Labor needed:

(al of this caused by a clogged PCV valve that started at 90K and is still an issue now, at 140K)

-Crankshaft Seals.
-Rear Main Seal (possibly)
-Valve Cover Gaskets
-Water Pump w/Gasket (leaks a little)
-Camshaft Seals.
-PCV Valve
-Spark Plugs
-Spark Plug Wires
-TIMING BELT (original is still on the motor its a "while you're in there" thing when you are doing cam and crank seals...as is the WP)

all that stemmed from a PCV valve that wasnt changed in a timely manner...i HATE people who cant maintain their cars.

-Serpentine Belt
-Rear Brake Pads
-Left Foglight out (yellow)
-Front End Alignment
-Decompressed Front Strut (i can copmress and decompress with my hand when the car is on a jack... )
-Broken Cassete Deck (doesnt play or eject tapes)
-Paint Peel
-Bad ATX tranny mount (rear)
-Burnt out Rear door lock actuator on drivers side...(meh, i can live with THAT)
-Broken P/W & P/L Switch on drivers door.
-Left liscense plate lamp out
-Loose snap on gray trim along bottom half of doors...least of my concerns at this point.

as it stand rigth now the only fluid that is not coming out of my car is Windshioed washer fluid/Pwer steering fluid/Brake Fluid/Tranny Fluid.

its leaking everything else.

-Loose Snap on Gery Trim along bottom half of doors...least of my concerns at this point.

Please remember this car is 15 years old, thats older than a few of y'alls kids. please be nice. its not lexi's fault she wasnt maintined properly.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 10-05-04 at 06:42 PM.
Old 10-13-04, 11:32 PM
JulieLexus
Driver School Candidate

your guys are complaining about cars that have 130,000 miles.. thats alot

**** i will be happy if my es makes it to that without any major problems
Old 10-15-04, 07:05 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally posted by JulieLexus
your guys are complaining about cars that have 130,000 miles.. thats alot

**** i will be happy if my es makes it to that without any major problems
wasnt complaining...i paid alot less for mine that you paid for yours too!. LOL. i paid $2,000 and got a $500 refund after i told the previous owner about the issues. so that helped some. but i expected to have to do some things to it. she runs awesome, just needs spark plugs to be running perfect. she just leaks liek a sieve. thast my main complaint.
Old 10-21-04, 07:54 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pillars and heated seats.

She is a 97 with 110,000 miles.

I am currently working on the heated seat problem. You would think with how common the problem is we should all know what the deal is.

As far as the B pillars, I just repainted them myself. I got the glossiest jet black I could find at autozone and clear coated them. I first wet sanded them and tried to get the peeling off. It turned out really nice, going on 7 months and they look just as the day I did them. The jet black matches my 20% tint really well. I was happy with the results.
Old 10-21-04, 07:57 PM
DK Audio
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yeah, my transmission seems to shift kind of hard out of 1st. I can even feel a little jerk when it shifts into first as well (when slowing down). I got a complete flush at the dealership and it hasen't seemed to change for the better or worse. How are the 2nd generation ES' transmissions anyways?
Old 11-19-04, 05:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

thats pretty normal for the ES, mine does it too, and every ES300 i have ridden in ahs done it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?