Mark Levinson Discrete 5.1 Surround Sound System
Mark Levinson, exclusive premium audio system provider for Lexus cars and SUVs, launches their "next-generation" entertainment system in the all-new 2007 Lexus ES 350 luxury sedan. This groundbreaking system introduces Lexus owners to a discrete 5.1 home theatre entertainment experience optimized for playback of music, music videos and movies in the luxurious, mobile environment provided by the 2007 Lexus ES.
For the First Time in the All-New 2007 Lexus ES 350 Luxury Sedan
"This Mark Levinson System is a high-performance home theatre on wheels," said Bob Carter, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "A product of over three years of engineering and development, the system improves on every aspect of the original Mark Levinson System introduced in 2002."
This 14-speaker, 300 watt system features the following:
• Discrete 5.1 multi-channel playback via a 7.1-speaker topology
• 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS decoding of DVD Video and DVD Audio discs
• Proprietary metal cone midrange and tweeter transducers
• Full digital transmission from the digital source to the discrete output topology power amplifiers
Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) audio software optimizes discrete 5.1 playback for Multiseat™ listening and provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material.
"Our latest generation of Mark Levinson systems for Lexus advances the scope of sonic performance and features available, yet they remain true to our original mission to recreate the emotional response evoked by the original musical and now, cinematic, event," said Phil Muzio, director acoustic systems at Mark Levinson. "This system provides a listening experience in the car unrivaled by other vehicle in its class."
Mark Levinson Premium Surround Systems, featuring discrete 5.1 surround sound, were launched in the 2004 Toyota Crown Royale Saloon, 2004 Crown Majesta in the Japan market and in the 2006 Lexus GS 300 and GS 430 earlier this year in the U.S. market.
Mark Levinson Surround Sound System for the 2007 Lexus ES 350 Luxury Sedan Features/Functions:
• 14 Speakers – Four 25 mm tweeters, five 65 mm midranges, two 6 x 9-inch woofers, two 16 cm woofers and one 20 cm subwoofer.
• 10 Channels, 300 watts – The all-new Mark Levinson Processor/Amplifier in the ES will produce a total power output of 300 watts, all-channels driven, 20Hz-20kHz @ less than 0.1% total harmonic distortion.
• Mark Levinson Surround (MLS) Audio Software – Optimizes discrete 5.1 playback for Multiseat™ listening in a 7.1-channel speaker architecture and provides a surround sound experience for stereo source material such as CD and FM. MLS is the only expression of surround sound which has been designed and optimized specifically for the challenges and characteristics exhibited by an automotive passenger cabin.
• Discrete 5.1 Surround Sound
• Media Compatibility – CD, CD-R, DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs.
• Format Compatibility – 2-channel stereo (analog and PCM), 2-channel surround sound, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 (from DTS 5.1 CD, DVD Video and DVD Audio discs), decodes MP3/WMA and has an aux input.
• 7.1-Channel Surround Sound Speaker Architecture – Separate side and surround channels provide a greater sense of envelopment and depth for front and rear passengers.
• Proprietary Metal Cone Midrange and Tweeter Transducers – Metal cone geometries offer greater cone rigidity and lower mass. Neodymium magnet/motor structures provide higher magnetic flux levels in a smaller and lighter transducer package. The sonic benefits of both technologies are the following:
- Lower distortion – higher resolution
- Greater sound pressure levels – natural dynamics
- Extended frequency response – harmonic richness and musicality
• 20 cm/8 inch subwoofer provides the deepest base tones in the most efficient and compact manner possible.
• All Digital Signal Path from the Disc to the Mark Levinson Discrete Topology Power Amplifiers – Fragile audio signals are often transmitted from the front to the back of the car in an analog format. The analog medium is subject to sonic degradation from noise and magnetic interference within the car and numerous conversions processes between analog and digital. To avoid noise pickup and unnecessary and potentially degrading conversion steps, the ML Surround System transmits digital via SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface Format). 24-bit word lengths are supported.
• Source Dependent MLS – Your favorite MLS setting is retained for individual source types.
• ASL – Volume and tone adjustment for on-the-road system optimization, asymmetrical for surround sound sources.
• ML3 Hardware highlights – Switching power supply, 24-bit ADC and DAC, triple DSP farm, discrete output stages.
• The ES Voicing – Over 1,000 man-hours of laboratory and on-road voicing of the Mark Levinson Premium Surround System for the particular acoustic characteristics of the ES passenger cabin.
Credit: Lexus USA